Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Women's Floor Exercise Final


Gold - Aly Raisman USA
Silver - Catalina Ponor ROU
Bronze - Aliya Mustafina RUS

The Floor final was definitely my favorite final of these games, with Uneven Bars being a close second.  The lineup was completely LOADED with talent, former World FX champs and Olympics FX champs it was just unbelievable!! I was so nervous for Aly and Jordyn because I really wanted them both to medal and they were up so early in the lineup, which seemed to me a disadvantage.

Up first on the floor was Kseniia Afanaseva. She has beautiful choreography and a wonderful routine, I know that a lot of people were rooting for her to medal, however, she stepped out of bounds on her very first pass. Her whip whip to triple full is completely amazing, but she went out of bounds again on her third pass, possibly with both feet, and scored a very low 14.566. Jordyn was next up, and I was so so nervous for her .. I'm wondering if the stress fracture we just learned of is hindering her more than anyone was letting on because she faltered on almost every landing, and went out of bounds on her stag leap after he triple twist. That is just NOT like Jordyn at all. I'm so sad that this was the way her Olympics ended, with her errors she found herself scoring even lower than Afanaseva.

Aly was up third, and she had the best floor routine of her life!!! She added the punch layout back into her routine and she NAILED that opening tumbling pass and all of her other ones too! She stuck her triple twist as well. I was so so excited and her score was honestly gigantic -- 15.6!! The highest score on floor during the Olympics. I was confident, but with Sandra Izbasa going last there was no way I was ready to celebrate yet.

Catalina Ponor was next and she showed why she was the 2004 Athens Olympic champ on floor, she is honestly amazing!! I believe she was slightly underscored with a 15.2, however, I also thought that it didn't matter because she was definitely not better than Aly. So she went into silver medal position. Next was Lauren Mitchell, and although she is amazing on floor, this was not her best routine. She did respectably well though, and ended up with a 14.833.

Vanessa Ferrari was up next, and as I've said before, I've been so impressed with her these Olympics, and I'm glad that she made it to the event finals. Her routine was good and nice to watch, not a fan of her music though. She scored just a bit higher than Mitchell, posting a 14.9 and putting her in bronze medal position. Seventh was Aliya Mustafina, and I was not expecting her to medal here at all. She gave a wonderful performance though, I believe, her best of the Games so far. I love her music and how dramatic her routine is and her dance is just elegant and beautiful. Much to my surprise, she scored a 14.9, tying Vanessa Ferrari but winning the tie breaker and putting her in 3rd.

I didn't hold out hope of Musty medaling though, because the reigning Olympic champ on floor, Sandra Izbasa, was up last. Sandra's routine is definitely beautiful, but I was not a fan of her music either, it was very slow paced and kind of monotonous. She gave a wonderful routine up until she fell on one of the tumbling passes late in the routine. 

I was so happy for Aly for winning an individual gold medal! She definitely deserves it and I said a very long time ago that I knew that Aly would be FX champion in London. She is simply the best in the world. I was also very happy for Catalina Ponor, what a comeback she's had and to be able to medal with the team and in non consecutive Olympics is just incredible. And of course, I was happy for Musty, the most decorated female gymnast of the London games with 1 gold, 1 silver, and 2 bronzes. She has worked so so hard to get to where she is and she fully appreciates everything. It was a wonderful final to end the Games.


No comments:

Post a Comment